Sunday, October 2, 2011

Heirlooms for Christmas

Christmas is fast approaching (I know, it's not even Halloween yet), but it is true.  Before you know it we'll be cleaning up the turkey, pulling out the Christmas lights and watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

What else comes with Christmas?  Family asking what you and your children want for Christmas.  Now I hate to sound ungrateful, because that's not my intention.  I'm always appreciative and grateful for friends and family's generosity.  At the same time, my kids have so much as it is (that we've collected over the years), that I don't even know what to get them myself, let alone think of things for others to get them.  And me?  What do I want?  Things I always ask for are more out of obligation to answer.  These are things I would get for myself anyway.  A sweater, a necklace, a toaster, lol.  And lets face it, asking for clothes puts pressure on the giver and pressure on me to keep it and wear it when they are around even if I don't love it or it's not my color.

Does any of this sound familiar?  Well, I have a solution that you may not have considered.  PORTRAITS!!!  Ask for a gift certificate to your favorite photographer (whether that's me or someone else).  Maybe they can't cover the entire session, but every little bit helps, right?  Maybe ask EVERYONE for this.  Have them even skip gifts for the kids and make it a family gift.  Now I know some situations this won't work if you gather as a family and the kids want to open gifts because all their cousins are.  But if Grandma lives far away and normally mails presents or gift cards, would the kids know the difference and feel jipped?  Surely not.

I think the gift giver would LOVE this idea as well!  Knowing they contributed to something as valuable as portraits.  Do these have to be of the entire family?  No, whatever you want it to be.  Maybe it's just the kids.  Or what the heck, maybe just mom and dad?  When was the last time you had portraits done of just the two of you?  Couples sessions are not just for engagements and weddings.  They are for any time and who knows what may spark ;).  Have you been longing for an heirloom quality Gallery Wrapped Canvas to proudly display?

Don't limit this idea to outside the family.  Do  you exchange gifts with your spouse and always try to think of what to ask for?  Yet you end up giving each other what you would have gotten anyway?  Why not agree to give this to each other as a gift.  I know in 10 years, heck even in 5, you'll look at your portraits and be so thankful you did it.  Will you cherish that purse, those boots, that tv or gadget as much?  You only have a limited window to capture right now.  Don't let it pass by.

So, do you still want to make a list of things that will get buried in closets or broken in 2 days?  Or do you want to ask for a Portrait experience you will forever cherish?


No comments: